Yesterday Rob, I, Marlissa and Elizabeth all came to Texas Children’s Hospital bright and early for her surgery. We talked with the nurses, doctors, etc. and at about 10:45 or so they took her back (we gave her a cocktail to drug her so that she wouldn’t be so scared and it worked well – even gave her the hiccups). The rest of us went and got something to eat. She got out of surgery about 2:45 and everything went really well. The whole in her diaphragm wall was smaller than expected and they tried hard to stich her up in a way that this will not happen again. Mama was nice enough to pick up our boys and feed them and Katie and hang out till after 8pm. She got to deal with a very disobedient son of mine and I am so grateful that they had someone that cares about them as much as she does.
We are hoping that second time is the charm with this surgery. Our sweet girl has been doing great – she did wake up every hour last night and refuse to sleep anywhere but on mommy or next to me but I didn’t blame her for being scared and put out because of all that had happened. To this point (~5:30 pm) she has eaten or drank anything in almost 48 hours. She ate last at about 6:15 pm on Monday night. So she is a bit grumpy and very tired. We opted to give her an epidural to control the pain and I am so glad we did – she is doing so well with the pain. Hopefully the surgeon will round here soon and we will be able to give her some water at least.
A Picture Journey:
We start out with a curious and happy baby that then turned into a scared one with all the nurses, etc. I didn’t get a picture of her “drunk” on her cocktail.
Then recovery – we waited about 3 or so hours for a bed. Because we had Elizabeth with us we had to take turns holding her. Rob was with her the most. After 5 I was finally let in with E and we hung out until they had our room ready. E was so good, played, ate, cooed, played some more and was just the happy baby she always is. Thanks goodness for that!
Then off to our room. We have a great corner room attached to the meds room where no one sleeps. So, it is like having a nice little suite. Which has been good because I needed somewhere to eat so that I wasn’t eating in front of my baby that can’t eat and doesn’t understand why I am being such a mean mommy.
Visitors – Shelly came up to TCH for Bella’s appointments today and was so kind to bring her two presents – a great animal puzzle and a soft doggy to cuddle. M has already played with both. Thanks so much Shelly!
1 comment:
Hey, this Sunday our RS President was released because in Jan she is having this same surgery. She's 80+ though. Lived her whole life with docs telling her she had heart or lung trouble. Only this year discovered it was a hole in her diaphragm. So I suppose Marlissa's lucky they caught it early so she won't be on random medications for the wrong problem for the next 80 years, huh. I know, no solid foods. Will that be for 3 months? Poor baby.
Post a Comment