Sunday, May 8, 2011

Processing the Chickens

Well the time came to process the chickens and so we joined Mama, Daddy, Nathan and Mandy at the farm yesterday.  All in all it is not a hard process just a bit time consuming is all (there were 19 in all).  We slaughtered and then cleaned the chickens (inside and out).  It was Daddy, Nathan, Rob and Caleb on slaughter duty and the rest of us on “cleaning” duty.  We also found some time to do some weeding – what fun!  We also got to do some harvesting – much better.

Here are the pictures of the process – if you are squirmish I would suggest you just skip this part.  Catching the chickens.

P1014317 P1014319

They hung the chickens, broke their necks and then chopped off the head.  It was Caleb’s job to get rid of the blood. 

P1014321P1014322

Katie and Mandy did a lot of plucking!

P1014325 P1014328

Mama cleaning them up!  I helped but almost threw up with each and everyone that I cleaned – very stinky insides!

P1014315 P1014329

No comments: