“Joy in the value God places on us when entrusting a child to our care.”
Years ago, before I was a mother I thought I had some of it figured out, that my perspective on mothering was under control, that my ability to be patient and come up with creative solutions was in tack and then I became a mother. To say that becoming a mother of five overnight is overwhelming would be a drastic understatement. I love my job and responsibilities as a mother but I have had to realize over the last year or so that I know nothing and with that admit that mothering is a much more difficult than I ever imagined. I heard my whole life that motherhood was the hardest and most rewarding thing that a woman would ever do.
I didn't realize how very true that statement was. I love to play with my babies and big kids. Seeing the kids change and grow is amazing and the opportunity to be a part of that is wonderful. I think that one of the big difficulties I have had in the past year has been taking care of me so that I can be a more joyful mother while taking care of them. Looking back at my life pre-marriage to today there is very little that is the same. I work, sleep, eat, go to church, attend the temple, read my scriptures and have FHE but how, when and how often those things occur are all very different. I have written before that the things I do now have more meaning and that is so very true – that despite the “interruption” in my daily life my world and life is much more fulfilling. Despite all of that, I want so badly to be the patient, kind, considerate, teacher, well rested, creative and loving mother I know I can be and sometimes it just feels like I am the tired, inpatient, frustrated and stressed mother that working full time, having five kids and a long commute produces. So I invite you to join me on my quest, a quest that I know that I can't do alone, to become that mother – a journey that will take the rest of my life. I do know that our Father in Heaven desperately wants us to be the best we can be and that he will help us. I know that He has the answers on how to be that mother and how to become the person He wants me to be in the mean time. AS part of that journey I will be blogging more and talking openly about the changes I see in me as I move forward in my pursuit of joyful mothering.
1 comment:
We all strive to be the best mother we can be. Turning to God when it gets rough is so key for me! Although I am only 11 months in I hope I am doing a good job. Writing has really helped me over the past so I hope it will continue to hold me accountable as well as allows me to reflect and learn.
Post a Comment