Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mothering

I have a wonderful Mama - I tell people all of the time that if I could be half the mother to my kiddos that my mom was to me that my kids would have a great childhood. Sadly most days I don't feel like I even measure up to half. Don't get me wrong I am not seeking confirmation that I am a good mom, etc. just a simple truth that I live with. I have been thinking about her much today throughout my crazy grant writing, project stablizing and budget wows here a work. Right now she is in a hotel in NW Houston because her house is in the midst of where a wildfire is blazing. The name of the fire is the Riley Road fire - my parents live on Riley Rd. They had to evacucate their farm last night - taking only what they could in the two cars. And of course she was the practical loving mama that takes the kids, clothing, important papers, the computer, camera, etc. My Daddy - he kept going in and getting sentimental things - I think that what makes their marriage work so well - such a great balance between the two of them. All the animals - cows, 5 dogs, 9 cats, 20 or so chickens are still there awaiting their fate.

I guess one thing that becomes more and more clear as life goes on is that it is the people that make this life worth it. So grateful that Mama, Daddy, Mandy and Nathan are healthy and safe!

1 comment:

Faith Confessions said...

My prayers are with them. And I think that no matter how good of a mother we are we always try to be better or measure ourselves to others who have set positive examples. Try and remember you are doing a good job and just reflect on the children being happy and healthy when you need a reminder. Its always easier said than done when it is a bad day or you lose your cool or wonder if you could do a better job but it is worth the effort!